Faux fishtail flips are so easy to do and mimic a fishtail braid, but these are a lot less time consuming. They are perfect for toddler hairstyles because you can do them with connected ponies in the front of the hair. With this particular hairstyle, we did 3 fishtail flips and then put the flips into on of our pigtails that we did at the end. We finished off with big yellow bows. It is April after all, and we are embracing Spring!
Here’s how to get this toddler hairstyle of fishtail flips into pigtails:
- Section a portion of hair up front and secure to one side of the head over the eyebrow.
- Part the rest of the hair down the middle and secure in two elastics. This is mostly to keep the hair out of the way while you do your fishtail flips and will eventually be your pigtails.
- Go back to the sectioned portion at the front of the head and add a second elastic about 1″ down from the first elastic.
- Using the hair between the two elastics, separate the hair and pull the hair up and through the middle. This is better illustrated in the video at the end of this post.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 two more times. When I got done with the finished style, I couldn’t see the 3rd flip, so you could just repeat step 3 and 4 once more if you wanted to.
- Once you have your little pony of flips, comb out each section that will be your pigtails. Add your pony of flips to one of the pigtails and secure with an elastic.
- Add bows or ribbon!
That’s it, you’re done!